H. Clay Gorton - Personal Journal, 1992 - 1993

October 4, 1992 This is a review of happenings since our return from assignment as President of the Mission Training Center in Santiago, Chile, February, 1992. Before leaving for Chile in January, 1990, we sold our home at 19501 Donora Avenue, Torrance, CA. and purchased a home at 210 North 600 East in Bountiful, Utah. The home was purchased for $80,000, and after our arrival, we completely renovated the interior at a cost of $20,000. We able to move into the home on the 1st of March. Our youngest daughter, Elizabeth Anne, moved in with us and obtained employment is Salt Lake City with Owners' Resorts and Exchange, Inc. as a reservationist. Two weeks ago she obtained a second job working evenings as a cashier at Shopko discount Store.

The health of my wife, Edna [Podge], has not been too good. She continues with arthritis that rather seriously limited her actions while in Santiago, and she suffers from high blood pressure, so she cannot be very active. To maintain my health, during the summer I swam at the municipal pool for 30 minutes a day. Two weeks ago I began running for 30 minutes each morning.

In fulfillment of a lifelong desire, after settling in at Bountiful, I took flying lessons and obtained my private pilot's license on August 1, 1992. I now have 70 hours total time. This includes 10 hours of aerobatic training in a Pitts S2 while at Torrance in 1989.

We belong to the Bountiful 31st Ward, Bountiful Stake. Podge has been called to be the Relief Society Visiting Teacher Coordinator and I have been called to teach the Gospel Doctrine class. Following several years of research and beginning while we were in Chile, I have written a book on chiastic structures in the Doctrine and Covenants, and have submitted it for publication to Horizon Publishers. The president of Horizon, Duane Crowther, lives in our ward.

My sister, Gayla Clark, whose husband, Woodrow, passed away in February, 1991, has been called on a Family History Mission to the Pennsylvania Pittsburgh Mission. She has just completed two weeks training in the Mission Training Center in Provo, Utah, and is now attending a two-week genealogy course at Brigham Young University. She is taking her car to her mission, and I will go with her to help drive. We will leave next Thursday, Nov. 12.

When we sold our home in Torrance, CA. I gave a second mortgage for $125,000 to the buyer, Shui Yuan. The total price of the sale was $340,000. The second mortgage was to be paid as interest only (10%) for five years and the principal due at the end of five years. Last July Mr. Yuan was laid off from his employment at Hughes Aircraft, and has been unable to make payments to me or on the first mortgage that has a present balance of $167,000. Therefore, he is deeding the house back to me and I am in the process of acquiring a loan to pay off the mortgage and cover all back payments, taxes and fines that are due. We were using the income from the loan as part of our living expenses, and its loss will make things difficult for awhile. Our present income is $1,450/Month Social Security, $187/Mo pension from Battelle Memorial Institute, where I worked from 1953 until we were called to preside over the Argentina North Mission in 1969, and $500/Mo interest from retirement funds from TRW where I worked from 1975 to 1986. Those funds, $104,000, were used to procure a Single Premium Deferred Annuity from Western National Life Insurance Co.

We're attempting to borrow $210,000 on the house in Torrance. Loan payments will be about $1,200/Mo and we will have to rent the place for about $1,400/Mo in order to meet the loan payments and property taxes. When I first contacted Mr. Yuan about his default, he was very defensive, but he called me back later, apologetic, and offered his full cooperation in doing everything possible to keep his loan from going into foreclosure, and offered to deed the place back to me in return for canceling the loan of $125,000. When I called the renter, advising him that he would have to vacate the place so that we could rent it [he has been paying not rent for the last two months, and cannot afford what we must receive] he was also very defensive. However, he called my back later in the day and apologized for his attitude and stated that he would move out as soon as possible. In attempting to get a loan from a California bank, I called Kathleen Church, who is a loan officer at Great Western Bank in Torrance, CA. Kathleen is a dear friend of our daughter, Beth, and we took her into our home for a few months during some family difficulties when she was a teen-ager. Kathleen is giving us some very special attention, without which it would have been very difficult to get a loan without going to California to process it. We have no doubt that a kind Heavenly Father is exerting his influence in turning the hearts of men and providing people such as Kathleen to help up proceed with that which has been put upon us. We, of course, do not know how it will all turn out, since the future is not open to our view; but we have no doubt that whatever the outcome it will be in accordance with the will of our Heavenly Father. Words cannot express our gratitude for his infinite condescension in recognizing our need and guiding to where He would have us be.

November 9, 1992 We were advised by Kathleen Church last week that Shui Yuan has signed the quit claim deed, deeding the house over to us. The appraiser has been to the house and we anticipate that the loan will be processed by midweek. I have been concerned over the impact of this affair on the three people involved-- Shui Yuan, who, because he was laid off from his employment, had to default on the loan. The renter, Gary Owen, who has had a recent operation, has no hospital insurance and has been ordered by his doctors not to work, and ourselves, who are required to assume a major financial obligation and a reduction of income from $3000 to $2000 per month. I have continually prayed to the Lord that as we take back the house it may not make an undue hardship on the others involved.

I suggested to Mr. Yuan that he contact Peter Wolf in Thousand Oaks to solicit his help in finding employment. Peter and I worked together at Victor Comptometer between 1972 and 1975, during which time I had the privilege of baptizing him. He has recently quit a very good position with a computer printer company to devote full time to his employment agency. The employment agency developed from his call as Ward and later Stake Employment Specialist. My hope is that through that contact Shui Yuan may learn about and develop an interest in the Church.

This last week-end our daughter, Becky Conley, who is living in Lomita, CA. placed an ad in the Daily Breeze advertising the house for rent for $1400/Mo. She has several calls and showed the place to some interested people yesterday afternoon. However, Gary Owen has not yet moved out. So last night I called him to urge him to move as soon as possible so that we might proceed with the rental. After a lengthy conversation, he agreed to stay in the house until the end of the year and pay $1200 for the current month [which is the amount of rent he was paying to Shui Yuan, and then pay $1400 for the next month, promising to be out by the end of the year.

I called Becky to ask her to remove the ad from the paper, and reenter it the middle of next month. Within an hour she called me back to report that she had just rented the place to a Los Angeles Police Department officer and his wife for $1400/Mo. with occupancy starting Jan. 1, 1993. We cannot begin to express our gratitude to our Heavenly Father for his infinite kindness and condescension in answering our prayers in such a marvelous manner. I have been reflecting the last several days on the scripture found in D&C 6:36, "Look unto me in every thought, doubt not, fear not." That scripture takes on a new dimension as I reflect on the happenings of this last week. I lay awake much of last night wondering how can I attempt to repay the Lord for such wonderful kindness to us.

November 15, 1992 Becky called last Thursday to say that Gary Owen advised her that he has found an apartment and will be out of the Donora residence by the end of the month. She then contacted the couple that wants to rent the place, advising them that they can move in on December 1.

I wanted to give a copy of the book, Love, Medicine and Miracles, by Dr. Bernie Seigel to brother Frank Peterson, who has cancer and was given a life expectancy some time ago of three years. We had unpacked the book just the other day. When I looked for it this morning, I couldn't find it although I searched through my office bookcase and the family room bookcase twice. Since I knew that it was somewhere in the house and I had looked carefully for it, I asked the Father to please show me where it was. Whereupon I returned to my office bookcase, reached up and put my hand on the book. It was pushed toward the back and was partially concealed by other books. It is amazing how kind our Heavenly Father is, and how quickly He responds even to simple requests that have no more than passing import.

Three weeks ago I began running for 30 minutes each morning. I use a pulse monitor and try to keep my heart beat near 140 beats/minute. I have lost about five pounds and am now holding steady at 159-160 lbs. I feel invigorated by the exercise, and am gaining some strength back in my legs.

To fulfill a lifelong dream, I began taking flying lessons in February of this year. Before I could solo I had to have a health certificate, which was held up for about two months because I had had cancer in 1988. On receipt of the health authorization by the Federal Aviation Authority (FAA) I began my solo work, and received my private license on August 1, 1992. Cross country solos, 10 hours minimum required, included (1) a five-hour flight from Bountiful to Blackfoot, Idaho; American Falls, Idaho; and return to Bountiful, a round trip to Wendover, Utah, and a round trip to Malad, Idaho. I have given scenic rides to my grandson, Ryan Brown; by daughter, Becky Conley and Daughter-in-law, Teresa Gorton. I also gave a ride to nephew, Richard Black, who wants to learn to fly. My training has been mostly in a Cessna 152, with some time in a Cessna 150.

Yesterday, Glen Olsen, who has a home-built Acroduster, with a 185 HP engine, invited me to fly with him. We spent an hour during I practiced acrobatics, including aileron rolls, slow rolls, barrel rolls, loops, hammerhead stalls, inverted flight and cuban and reverse cuban eights.

In 1989, at the Hawthorne, CA airport I received 8 hours of dual instruction in aerobatics in a Pitts S-2, and two hours in a Robin 2160. I now have a little over 70 hours total flying time.

January 7, 1993 On December 26, 1992 I took Jeff Moss, 2nd counselor in the ward bishopric, flying for an hour. We did chandelles, lazy eights, stalls and dutch rolls. He would like to learn to fly, so I let him handle the controls for awhile.

Today I went to the Jordan River Temple with Roger Brown, and we did 25 initiatories apiece from our ancestral file.

January 14, 1993 On December 26, a reunion of people who had lived in Columbus, Ohio in the 50's and 60's was held at the home of Bob and Mary Lynn Bear in Bountiful. Present were Bob and Carol West, Kay and Wade Andrews, Don and Annetta Mortensen, Dick and Sr. Marsten, Farrel Rush, Lucille Starr, and others. That evening the Wests and we decided to visit Ralph and Genevieve Johnson in Logan. Genevieve was seriously ill with cancer of the bone. We made two appointments, but it was necessary to cancel each because of the heavy snowfall. The third appointment was made for Wed. Jan. 13. On Monday morning I received a call from Kay Andrews advising that Genevieve had passed away the night before. So we went to Logan with the Wests on Wednesday afternoon, and went to the viewing that evening and then later that evening attended the last day of the premiere performance of the recently renovated Ellen Eccles Theatre. We stayed at a motel that night and attended the funeral at noon on Thursday. We were invited to participate in the family prayer prior to the service, and Ralph called Bob and myself up and introduced us as his counselors in the former Columbus Stake Presidency. After the funeral we attended the graveside service and then a luncheon at their ward chapel.

This year has seen the heaviest snowfall in history along the Wasatch front, ending a seven-year drought. In December, the First Presidency of the Church asked all members to fast and pray to the Lord to plead that the drought affecting the Western States be ended. California has since seen torrential rainstorms and we have received record snowfalls. Three feet of snow had accumulated on the roof of our house, and since some roofs in the area were caving in from the weight of the snow, I shoveled it off the roof back to about six feet from the eaves. Podge and Beth had earlier insisted that I buy a snow blower, which has served us very well. The snow on either side of the driveway is now piled over six feet high.

February 9, 1993 On January 22 I went to the airport to practice crosswind landings, having had very little opportunity because of wind direction since receiving my license. At this time there was a strong cross wind blowing. However, it was so strong that the runway was closed. My instructor, Hal Young, happened to be there, and we chatted for about an hour, at which time since the winds had abated somewhat they declared the runway open. However, the winds were just below that maximum allowable. I declined to fly since the winds were so marginal and my experience so minimal. However, Hal offered to go along, so we spent an hour 20 minutes shooting landing in the maximum crosswind for which the plane was designed. Good experience.

March 9, 1993 Podge has been suffering for some years with painful arthritis in her knees, to the point that while we were in Chile I got her a cane to assist her to walk. Elder Jacob Dejager, on seeing her disability at a mission presidents' seminar, recommended that she see Dr. Kent Samuelson for a knee joint replacement. We saw Dr. Samuelson in January, 1993, and on January 25 Podge was scheduled for an operation to implant artificial knee joints. However, an electrocardiogram showed an anomaly, so she was given a tomographic examination of the heart and sent home to await the results. The cost of that overnight stay in the hospital was $2,454.46. The results revealed no anomaly, so the operation on her left leg was scheduled for February 1 and on her right leg for February 8. Both operations were successful. The doctor found that she had no cartilage between the tibia and femur in the joint of either leg; also that she had arthritic spurs that made contact at the joint extremely painful. The day after the operation she was informed that this was the most painful operation that there is. In spite of pain killers she was in severe pain the day following the operation. The pain has lessened as time has progressed. Also, on the day following the operations she was required to walk from the bed to the door. Distance was increased on subsequent days. Prognosis after release from the hospital is for use of crutches for six weeks, continued therapy for another six weeks, at which time she should be completely recovered. She was released from hospital on Feb 22. The cost of that hospital stay was $27,902.08, plus $5,639.38 for the stay in the Transitional Care Center wing. The doctor's bill for the operation was $7,766.81. We have both Medicare insurance and the TRW Retirement Insurance Plan. The two will take care of most, but not all, of the expenses.

During her stay it was determined that the blood oxygen content was very low-- undoubtedly the reason for her chronic fatigue. Since there was no heart anomaly, they examined her lungs for deficiency. However, the lungs were also found to be normal. They now suspect the possibility of sleep apnea. This cannot be pursued, however, until she is off medication from her operation. In the mean time, she has been put on oxygen support. We have been provided an oxygen generator at home, and portable units to take with us when away from home. She must now go to physical therapy three times a week for between three to five weeks.

April 24, 1993 Subsequent tests have revealed that Podge will not need oxygen supplement during the day, but only at night, and that for an indefinite period. If her condition with respect to energy deteriorates she will be examined at the sleep lab at LDS hospital to determine an appropriate course of action.

In spite of physical therapy, Podge was not able to increase the bending in her right knee beyond 75° and in her left knee beyond 95°. So she was admitted to the hospital on 5 April and under anesthetic both her legs were bent to 105°, and physical therapy was continued on a daily basis. Within about a week she was able to bend both legs to 99°. By the middle of the month our insurance benefits for physical therapy ran out, so we have continued the same exercises at home on a daily basis. Her condition continues to improve, and we expect full recovery.

Received a phone call from Mark and Susan Arnesen, who are renting our home in Torrance. They advised that they are purchasing a home and will be moving out at the end of May. Therefore, I have planned a trip to Los Angeles April 26 to 28, to get the home back on the market.

Two weeks ago I was called as the assistant ward clerk for membership. Since all membership record activity is now on computer, they needed a computer literate person to replace the membership clerk who is moving from the ward. I will be released as Sunday School teacher tomorrow.

Last Monday I took a check ride in a newly acquired Cessna C-150. The plane is so old that its radio uses vacuum tubes. But the radio works will and it has a tight engine, so I flew it to Logan and back on Wed., April 21. Climbed to 8000 feet following the foothills north to Weber canyon. Flew through the canyon, thence north to Logan. Spent the afternoon with Ralph Johnson acquiring information on his reorganization of the college of biological sciences at Ohio State University in the mid 60's. I will use the information in a paper that I'm writing, to be entitled, "The Transitory Nature of Telestial Knowledge". Returned to Bountiful that evening, flying at 6500 feet. Route west over the hills south of the Bear River to Tremonton, and thence south along the Great Salt Lake to Bountiful.

On Tuesday, April 20, I spent an hour in an Acroduster, aerobatic biplane, with Glen Olsen, who built the plane. I practiced mostly four-point rolls, until I could maintain direction and altitude and execute the pauses at approximate 90° intervals. Also did eight-point rolls and an unconventional six-point roll, as well as loops and hammerhead stalls. I will try to get one or two more practice sessions in during May, as I have two appointments with Bill Hare at the Hawthorne, CA airport in the first week in June to fly the Pitts S2.

May 14, 1993 I made the trip to Los Angeles, as planned. I purchased a good quality carpet for throughout the house, asked Shane Conley to have the exterior painted and the lawn fertilized as soon as convenient; and then when the tenants move out end of May to have the interior painted, the carpet laid and the lawn landscaped. We contracted with daughter, Becky's, father-in-law, Art Conley, who works with Re-Max Realtors, to sell the house. Podge and I will return to Torrance May 28 and stay for 10 days to supervise getting the house on the market and to attend the birth of Stephen and Teresa's baby.

I also met with Kathleen Zimmer, loan officer at Great Western Bank, with whom we have the loan for the Donora property, and took her to lunch to discuss loan requirements and her participation in selling the property. Luncheon costs--$13.60; charged to VISA.

On May 11, I practiced landings in a Cessna 152 for half an hour. Then Glen Olsen took me up in his Cessna Centurion C-210. The Centurion is a 4-passenger, with retractable gear and a constant speed prop. I practiced Dutch rolls, wing-overs, and the landing. On May 13 I flew the Acroduster with Glen for 1.4 hours. We did eight touch-and-go landings and then practiced rolls, loops and hammer-heads. Glen said that on our next flight we will practice landings with each one coming to a full stop, to get experience controlling the plane on the ground.

Over the last ten years or so, I have studied the chiasmus literary structure in the Book of Mormon and in the Doctrine and Covenants. While in Chile, after having found 224 chiasma in the D&C, I began writing a manuscript on the subject for publication. The manuscript, entitled "Language of the Lord, New Discoveries of Chiasma in the Doctrine and Covenants", has been accepted by Horizons Publishers, and should be published in the August-October, 1993 time frame. I have also written a number of short articles for publication. "If There Be Faults", a treatise on the 'or' corrections in the Book of Mormon was published in the Latter-day Digest, 2,2, 1993; and "There Shall be Time no Longer" a treatise on the constraining of time to mortality, was published in succeeding number of the same journal. "The Transitory Nature of Telestial Knowledge" was submitted to BYU Studies, but I haven't heard back from them yet. Another paper, entitled "Chiasmus in the Writings of Modern-day Prophets", has also been submitted to Latter-day Digest.

June 9, 1993 On May 27 I flew the Acroduster again with Glen Olsen. This time we did five full-stop landings to gain control of the plane on the runway. Also practiced aileron rolls, slow rolls, Cuban and reverse Cuban eights, loops, hammerheads and inverted turns. Had plans to fly the Pitts S2 out of Hawthorne airport during our trip to California, but the plane was down for its annual inspection.

Also on May 27, Podge and I flew to L.A. to finalize preparation of the Dorona house for sale. We selected the paint colors, and supervised the painting of the interior and exterior, the laying of new carpet throughout, the landscaping of the grounds and made final arrangements with Art Conley to proceed with the sale of the house. We returned on June 8.

Our trip expenses were as follows:

October 2, 1993 On Wednesday, September 8, our son, David, with his new wife, Roselyn, and their new baby, Christopher Clay, arrived for a 10-day visit. On Thursday we showed them the sights of Bountiful. On Friday I took David in a Cessna 152 on a three-hour flight over Weber Canyon to Logan, over Logan Canyon to Bear Lake, then on to Soda Springs and back over Preston and Clarkson to Tremonton and back to Bountiful. On Saturday, I drove David to Provo where he and Thalia attended the BYU-Hawaii football game, while I visited with Carol Ridge at Gayla's place. On Sunday we attended the Tabernacle choir broadcast. On Monday Podge and I took David and Roselyn to see the film, Legacy, in the Joseph Smith Memorial building, followed by lunch in the Garden restaurant on the top floor. On Tuesday, Glen Olsen took David for some mild aerobatics in the Acroduster and I took Roselyn along in the Cessna to watch. She took a few photos of their maneuvers. On the way back to the airport we flew formation, with Glen off my left wing. In formation we did a high-speed fly-by of the airport at about 30 feet, peeling off in chandelles at the end of the runway to set us up in tandem for landings. On Wednesday we four with the baby drove to Soda Springs via Logan Canyon and Bear Lake, picnicking at Hooper Springs. While searching for 90% Springs north and west of Soda, after having set the hand brake, the brake handle came off, and we had to hike to the nearest house to borrow tools to release the brake so we could drive on. On Thursday, Dave and Roselyn took the car and drove over the Alpine Loop behind Mt. Timpanogos from Pleasant Grove to Provo. On Friday we stayed home, and in the evening I attended the monthly meeting of the Utah Chapter of the Experimental Aviation Association (EAA), and accepted an assignment to publish their monthly newsletter. On Saturday had a cook-out at home with Roger and Debbie Brown and family. Sunday was Stake conference. On Monday David took the car to visit Thalia on her birthday. On arriving at Provo, the water pump broke. He found a repair shop, but Thalia had to drive him home. We went back the next day to pick up the car. On Wednesday they left for North Carolina. It was the first time we had seen David in about four years, so it was a welcome reunion and pleasant visit.

On Saturday, Sept. 25 I drove to Heber to attend the EAA fly-in. On Tuesday, the 28th, attended the Bountiful Stake session at the Salt Lake Temple. Each attendee from the Stake was able to participate in all of the temple ordinances. My schedule was first washings and annointings, next sealings, next confirmations after baptism, next as a witness for baptisms and finally an endowment session. During the session I made a particular point of pleading with the Lord to help us sell our house in California, since it has been on the market since June and is costing us $1200 a month payments of the $200,000 loan we had to take out to buy off the debts of the previous buyer who defaulted on his second mortgage to us. Today the realtor called us with the first serious offer we have had since placing it on the market. The prospective buyer offered $240,000, asking us to take a $24,000 second mortgage. This is a very low offer, significantly below the present market value, so I told the realtor to counter with a price of $259,000.

Our book entitled Language of the Lord started coming off the presses about a month ago. I sent a flyer advertising the book to about 120 acquaintances. Orders have been slow coming in. However, those who have purchased seem enthusiastic about the work. I don't know how sales to book stores from Horizon Publishers is going except that I learned that the Deseret Book Co. picked up an order last week. People interested in chiasmus are sending me their chiastic finding in the Doctrine & Covenants and in the Book of Mormon.

October 28, 1993 On Thursday, Oct. 21, I flew to Pittsburgh, PA. to drive my sister, Gayla Clark, home after completion of her Family History Mission. We changed planes in Atlanta, GA., during which time I was able to talk to McKay and Renee Burton by phone from the airport. Arriving in Pittsburgh I was picked up at the airport by Gayla and the genealogy library director. That evening, while she had her exit meeting, I had dinner at a restaurant and worked on the The Isaiah Connection. The following morning we packed her car and drove to near Palmyra, N.Y., where we stayed overnight. The next morning we went to Palmyra and first walked through the Sacred Grove. Only one other person was in the area, and he was generally not is sight, so we had the whole grove virtually to ourselves. Many of the leaves of the maple and elm trees, that are most prominent in the grove, were on the ground, providing a soft carpet to walk on, and the leaves still on the trees appeared to be at their maximum red and yellow hues. At the west edge of the grove, running north and south was a linear pile of dark-colored stones that we surmised had been at one time a stone fence. We later learned that most early stone fences had been removed for use in the foundations of homes built in the area. The day was clear and crisp and the early morning sun filtered through the trees giving a most beautiful effect.

Next we toured the Joseph Smith home and were given interesting explanations of life in the Prophet's day, based on artifacts of the period that were on display in the home. Of interest was a spinning wheel and other apparatus for working flax into linen. The flax is first beaten to loosen the fibers and then combed through a set of large tines. The yellow flax is then tied off leaving a little knot at one end, called a tow. Hence the terms a tow-headed boy and a flaxen-haired girl, indicating straw-colored hair. We next stopped at the visitor's center at the foot of the hill, Cumorah, and then traveled on the Kirtland, Ohio, where we spent the night.

The next morning we went to church in a recently-created branch made from the division of a ward in the Kirtland Stake. The branch is of moderate size, and we informed by the branch president that it has about an 85% level of activity. After church we visited the Newel K. Whitney store and visitor's center. Again much was made of period furniture and artifacts.Joseph and Emma Smith stayed in the upstairs part of the store for a while. We were shown a bed of the type on which they would have slept in which the mattress was supported on a rope woven back and forth between the head- and foot boards. This bed had a crank that could be used to tighten the rope when it began to sag; hence the origin of the expression sleep tight. The guide showed us the room that was used for a time for the school of the prophets, and told us that on one occasion while the brethren were meeting in the school a personage of extreme brilliance walked through the room. Joseph asked, “Do you know who that was?”, and without waiting for a reply said “That was our Elder Brother, the Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.” Immediately thereafter another personage, even more resplendent than the first, walked through the room. Again Joseph asked, “Do you know who that was?”, and immediately answered, “That was our Father in Heaven.” About six revelations were also received there.

We next went to the Temple visitor's center which is operated by the Restored Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and after viewing a 15-minute film slide were taken on a tour of the temple. We stopped first in the entry-way and then visited the second and third floors, and the first floor, which the guide called the sanctuary, last. The first and second floors are similar, but with larger pulpits on the first floor, and the third floor consists of a series of five rooms running from front to back. The original exterior surface that had been of stucco embedded with pieces of pottery and china to make it glitter, had begun to deteriorate, and had been covered by a smooth plaster. They guide was a kind and personable lady, but it was immediately apparent that she spoke without the Spirit that was so evident by the guides that had shown us through the Newel K. Whitney store and the Joseph Smith home. Nevertheless, we were touched by the Spirit as we sat in the pews in front of the pulpits on the first floor and contemplated the visions of Joseph and Oliver recorded in Section 110 of the Doctrine and Covenants.

About 4:00PM we continued our journey, stopping about 8:00 that evening. On Monday we traveled on to Grand Island, Nebraska, and on Tuesday from there to Vernal, Utah. We arrived in Bountiful at noon on Wednesday. Gayla then drove on to her daughter, Carol Ridge's place in Sandy, and from there to her home in Provo. It was a heart-warming experience to be with Gayla for these few days and hear her relate the experiences of her mission. We had a pleasant time traveling together, and spend much time reliving our early years in Soda Springs, and singing the old songs we used to know. Gayla will be somewhat alone now; Carol and family are moving to Denver, and while she was gone many of her former friends have sold their homes in Provo and have moved away, her bishopric has been changed and her ward has been divided. She is entertaining the possibility of selling her house and moving into a condominium. I encouraged her to consider some place as near to us as would be comfortable for her, citing the soon-to-be-completed Bountiful temple where she could work.

The day after returning home, today, I flew the Acroduster with Glen Olsen for 1½ hours. After doing aileron, slow, and four-point rolls at 7000 feet, we flew north of the TCA (terminal control area) and climbed to 8500 feet to practice Cuban eights, loops and hammer-head stalls. When we started back, Glen told me to do whatever I wanted, so I practiced a few rolls, still at 8500 feet. Before we realized it, we had penetrated the TCA about two miles which is enough to get one's license suspended for a month or so. So we immediately spiraled down to 6500 feet, turned off the transponder and flew east and through a pass in the mountains north of Ogden to Eden. We then turned south at 7000 feet and flew along the mountains to Park City; then at 7500 feet turned west down Parley's canyon, north along the mountains east of Salt Lake and over the mountains north of Salt Lake and landed at Bountiful airport without using the radio. Fortunately, we were not identified, and therefore no citation was issued. This was important for Glen as he makes his living doing aerial surveys.