H. Clay Gorton - Personal Journal, 1994 - 1995

May 1, 1994 In January the newly elected officers of the Salt Lake Chapter of the Experimental Aviation Association prepared and held the first EAA meeting of the year. I was elected Newsletter Editor, and am assisted by Harlo Birkholz and Don Brock, who was Newsletter Editor last year.

An empty nesters family home evening study group has been formed in our neighborhood, consisting of about 8 families. We will study the Book of Mormon and I have been asked to lead the discussions. The first meeting was held Monday, March 14.

Richard Spencer, Ward Statistical Clerk, had a visit from his sister and her husband, Don and Beverly Katanka, the week of April 13, and he wanted me to give them an aerial tour of the valley. Since there were two, I had to get checked out in a four place plane. So I arranged for a check ride in a Cessna 172 at Salt Lake Airport #2 on Wednesday March 16. We returned for the flight on March 17, but the master switch had been left on from the day before and the battery was dead. So we drove to the Bountiful airport, where I checked out in a Piper Apache‑28 180. We took Dick's two sons, Bob and Mike, with us on the check ride. Then Don and Beverly and Dick came aboard and we flew over central Salt Lake City and then out over Antelope Island. They seemed thrilled with the experience.

On March 21 I had my biannual physical, required for maintaining an active pilot's license. My biannual flight certification will come up in August.

On Thursday, March 31 and Friday April 1 Podge and I drove to Los Angeles, stopping overnight in St. George. We stopped at our son, Stephen's place in Pomona for awhile and then continued on to Lomita to stay with our daughter, Becky Conley, and her family. The occasion was the baptism of her youngest daughter, Lauren McKenzie, on Thursday April 7. She was baptized and confirmed by her father, Shane Conley. The friend of our daughter, Beth, Kathleen Zimmer, sent her a round‑trip airline ticket so she could attend the baptism.

I flew a Pitts‑S2B for an hour on each of two days during our stay. Since I am a licensed pilot, the aircraft owner, Bill Hare, insisted that I fly the back seat. That requires control of radio communications and flight management—starting, adjustment and control of the rpm's and manifold pressure, etc. It was a good experience. We did all the standard aerobatic maneuvers. We returned home on Saturday and Sunday, April 8 and 9.

On April 12 I attended a safety seminar on mountain flying. Attendance at the safety seminar and three hours of dual instruction— one on approaches and departures, one on flight management and one on instrument flying will qualify a pilot for the wings award, which is acceptable by the FAA to replace the biannual flight review. My check‑out the Cessna 172 and the Piper Archer count for the hour of approaches and departures, and my time in the Pitts‑S2B count for flight management. I will schedule my instrument time in a month or two.

On April 21 Podge and I attended a British Panto, called Jack and the Bean Stalk, put on by the Bristol Players from England—a fun evening. The following Saturday we attended the State EAA banquet. Featured speaker was former Senator and Astronaut Jake Garns, who showed a video and spoke about his space flight aboard the shuttle. One of his shots of the earth showed clearly the Bear Lake and the Soda Springs Reservoir.

I have been called as chairman of the High Priests Family History Committee. Val Goddard is serving with me as committee member. We have taken groups of High Priests and their wives to the Family History Library to get some hands-on practice in genealogy research on one Saturday during each of the last few months, until all the High Priests have had an opportunity to go. Yesterday, from 9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. we held a Family History Fair jointly with the 9th ward over 70 people in attendance. Talks were given by professionals on Beginning Research, How to Prepare and Publish Personal and Family Histories, How to Set Up Family Organizations, How to Use the Family History Computerized Family History Files and International Genealogical Index, and How to Prepare Temple Ready Diskettes.

July 9, 1994 On July 2 I did an hour's hood work in a Cessna 150 with Hal Young as the instructor. Today I received my wings certificate and exemption from my biannual flight review.

On July 6 David and his wife, Roselyn and their baby Christopher Clay arrived. They had driven from Cherry Point, NC, and are on their way to Okinawa for a three-year assignment in the Marine Corps. I have been involved with Harlo Birkholz in planning an EAA Air Fair and Open House at Salt Lake Airport #2. It took place yesterday from 5pm to 9pm. We had good media coverage and the event surpassed our expectations for success both in the number of planes on display and the number of attendees. We will have a critique meeting shortly and plan for next year's event, which will be a full-blown two-day air show.

July 21, 1994 We took David and family to the airport this morning. They will stop at LAX for three hours and will visit with Becky and family, and then fly to Okinawa via Tokyo. On July 15 we took David and Roselyn and Roger Brown in a Piper Archer on a trip around Timpanogos. We flew at the 9000‑foot level and hugged the side of the mountain. Did the same on the mountains east of Salt Lake at 8000 feet on the way back. Beautiful scenery, nice trip.

On Saturday the 16th we called Gayla Clark in Provo and asked her and her daughter, Janice to meet us at noon at Aspen Grove for a picnic. We drove up American Fork canyon, and after getting to the fork in the road that goes to Cascade Springs we were informed by a road crew that the road to Aspen Grove was closed due to construction. So we drove the three miles to Cascade Springs and then took an unimproved, rocky, dirt road seven miles to Midland, then across the head of the Deer Creek Reservoir and on down to Aspen Grove. We arrived just as Gayla and Janie were pulling out. So we had a nice picnic together. We then went to Bridal Veil Falls where David and Roselyn rode the cable cars to the top of the falls a very pleasant afternoon.

On Monday July 18, 12‑year‑old Joey Gorton arrived from Pomona, CA. to spend two weeks with us.

On Wednesday, July 20, at 1:00am our granddaughter, Erin Woodard, gave birth to a baby girl, whom they will name Winter Whitney Woodard. She weighed 8 pounds 9 ounces at birth. I just received a telephone call saying that she has some internal bleeding and her Mother, Debbie, has asked me to go to the hospital to administer to her.

I have just completed the final work on the draft of my next book, to be entitled The Legacy of the Brass Plates of Laban. The work has been submitted to Duane Crowther, the President of Horizon Publishers, for review. He would like to have the final copy in his hands before the end of the month.

October 9, 1994 Our High Priests Family History Committee has been expanded to include temple preparation and attendance. We have prepared a plan to have all adult members in the Ward qualify for and obtain a temple recommend within a year. As part of the plan I have been asked by the bishop to present a temple preparation seminar to all those who receive a recommend to attend the temple for the first time. So far I have met with Matt Murri who is preparing for a mission and Sandy Brinkman who is planning to get married. We are in the process of developing plans to encourage endowed persons without current recommends to become recommend holders, and to prepare those who have not yet been through the temple to receive their recommends.

On August 3, Podge and Beth motored to California. Beth went for the first birthday of Kathleen and Ron Zimmer's baby. Podge paid a surprise visit to Becky and Stephen and their families. They returned the following Monday.

On Thursday, Aug. 4 Michelle, David and Carmen's daughter, arrived in Provo from Orlando, Florida, to spend a week with her sister Thalia as a present from her mother for her 16th birthday. Michelle and Thalia and her husband, Dana, spent Monday evening with us, and we had a great time together.

On Sunday September 4, I blessed Winter Whitney Woodard, our first great granddaughter. Her parents are Erin and Justin Woodard. On Saturday, Sept. 10 I assisted with the ground crew at Salt Lake Airport #2 for an EAA Young Eagles rally. My job was to photograph the young eagles and their pilots.

On Saturday Sept. 24 we attended the State EAA fly-in at Heber. A six man EAA committee to plan a full-blown air-show next year has been formed, of which I am a member. The first meeting of the committee was held at our place on Sept. 13. Members of the committee are: Chairman John Powell, EAA Chapter 23 librarian; Harlo Birkholz, Chapter 23 Secretary; Brian O Leary, General Aviation Manager for the Salt Lake Airport Authority; Dave Turner, director of the Annual International Aerospace Expo, held at Salt Lake International Airport, and two other persons who didn't show up. Decisions of the committee at the first meeting were that we would participate with Expo 95 rather than go it alone next year. The Expo will be held at an airport other than SLC International to permit more aerobatic activity. Hill Air Force Base is being investigated as a possible site. We will be responsible for an EAA fly-in on the Friday of the Expo, including seminars, demonstrations and a dinner for EAA members. My responsibility will be to put together the Sport Aviation air show activity for Saturday and Sunday. We are planning to have the aerobatics performed by EAA members. We will invite participation from all the EAA chapters in the intermountain west.

Flying activities since the July entry have been: On July 25 we did a scenic around Bountiful and north with Dana Anderson in a Cessna 150. On July 29 we took Joey Gorton on a Young Eagles flight. On August 8 I did nine touch-and-go’s at Skypark airport in a C‑150. On Sept. 8 in Glen Olsen's Acroduster we practiced slow rolls for an hour and a half, with a few aileron rolls and loops thrown in. On Sept. 9 I went with Glen in his Cessna 210 on a photographic mission over Vernal and Flaming Gorge and was able to log 3 hours flight time. On September 27 I went on another photo mission with Glen over Draper at 18,000 feet, then to Price where we landed and changed film, followed by some photo runs near Price. I was able to log 3.4 hours on that trip.

May 10, 1995 Much time has passed and much has happened since our last entry. Of major impact and of great sadness to all who knew her, our daughter, Elizabeth Anne, passed away at age 33 on January 17, 1995. She had had pains in her side for several months that were variously diagnosed by different doctors. Finally it was determined that she had a fibrous growth which had severely restricted the ureter. She underwent surgery on January 16 to have the growth removed, and the operation was successful. The next day about 1:30 pm a blood clot migrated to her lungs and she passed away in her Mother's arms. Her brother, David, was in Okinawa. We were able to contact him that afternoon and he got an immediate flight out and was here the next day. He stayed for about three weeks. Her sister, Becky, flew in from Lomita, CA. arriving on Thursday. Her brother, Stephen, his wife, Teresa, and their four children drove up from Pomona, CA. and arrived on Friday. Beth's funeral was held on Saturday, January 21. Bishop David Robbins, Bountiful 31st Ward, conducted. David gave the family prayer. A friend of our family, Richard Spencer, gave the opening prayer at the service. Bishop Robbins read a eulogy. The primary children (Beth was a primary teacher and the children loved her) sang a medley, including “I Am a Child of God”, one of Beth's favorites. Stephen then gave a talk about Beth, and Debbie read one of her poems. Then I gave a talk. Jill Gubler sang “How Great Thou Art” and the benediction was offered by Debbie's husband, Roger Brown. Beth was buried in the Lakeview cemetery, up near the temple in Bountiful. Although Podge and I have cemetery plots for ourselves in Soda Springs, Idaho, we decided that when our time comes we will be buried here by Beth, and all of her brothers and sisters felt the same way, so we purchased twelve plots, including Beth's. David bought three. Expressions of admiration and of attachment to Beth were sent from a number of her friends, some of whom we do not know. It helped us appreciate the positive impact she had on the lives of so many people. Following are excerpts from the comments of some of those who knew Beth.

April and Gary Nakaji, 25341 Bani, Lomita, CA 90717, apparently parents of one of her day‑care children.

In memory of Beth. She was so carefree, easy going, good natured person. She would always make you laugh and always be fun to be with.

Kathleen Zimmer, a very close and long‑time friend of Beth's.

My heart feels such a hole and has such an ache in it. Beth was such a beautiful and wonderful person and so very important to me in my life. Her love for me was unconditional, a type of love I appreciated and counted on. She cheered me when I was down and laughed with me when I was happy. I enjoyed her company so much. She was more than a sister to me. She was a true friend. In my life I know I will never find anyone else to take her place, as friends like her are few and far between. She was an example to me and her spirit touched me many times. I looked up to her. I feel some peace knowing she is in good hands but the mortal selfish part of me wishes her back and gravely mourns her loss. Her funeral was beautiful! Just perfect. The love for her was strongly felt. I appreciate so much being able to be with you and your family during this. I felt so much comfort from you all. I love Beth so much and I will call on my memories to get me through hard times, but there will always be a hole in my life without her. I feel so deeply for you and the pain I know you feel. I wish I knew the words to say to help comfort you. I wish all of God's healing blessings on you and your family.

Greg McDougle, Beth was very close to Greg and his brothers from the time we moved to Torrance in 1976.

It's important for me to let you know what a wonderful feeling I get when I think about my sister, Beth. She always has been, for me, a warm and a calm harbor along life's, sometimes, stormy way. No matter the time, or place, or distance, or circumstance, I knew that in this world there stood a worthy friend and a loyal sister, someone who would hear me, feel for me and sacrifice her comforts that I might be comforted. I consider the day the Gorton's moved to Torrance as a day that changed and blessed by life, and indeed leaves me to wonder how my life could have ever been as enjoyable, without them. All who know Beth must consider their lives greatly blessed, as do I. There is nothing that brings me greater comfort than the truths that I will see her smile again and that she will make me laugh again, and that I will feel the comfort of her presence again. Oh that I had been a better student while she was with us, for she surely was sent to teach of the virtues of true friendship and how to purely care. Her gifts were freely shared and her purpose valiantly fulfilled, and all who truly know her rejoice in the reality that now her deepest dreams and desires will surely come true. As she would have it, Beth's legacy will continue to serve and instruct and indeed comfort those who are left behind, for a season. My world is brighter and better because she lived, and I am blessed to know her.

From Beth's preschool in Torrance.

Beth was a very good friend and was sincerely loved by all of us here at Der Kindergarten preschools.

Helen Smith

May God bless you, and remind you that Beth was a good teacher, and a positive influence on many young lives.

Miss Jean Becky Loertscher, colleague at Owners Resorts and Exchange, where Beth worked.

I realize I've only known Beth for about 3 years, but she loved to talk about her life and family so often. I feel I've known her for her whole life. Beth was so special to me. I doubt I will ever meet anyone like her again. She really was my best friend. My deepest concerns and love go out to you and your family. I will keep in touch. I just can't imagine not having her in my life. I loved her like she was my sister and I am so sorry she's gone.

Doris Yoshimoto, a colleague at the Salvation Army preschool in Torrance. CA.

Words cannot express the shock and sorrow I felt upon hearing of Beth's passing. She worked with me at the Salvation Army and kept in touch since leaving. I have a hard time believing she is gone. We have become very close during and after we worked together. She will be greatly missed.

Sherrie and Kort Delost, Bountiful 31st Ward.

Your dear, sweet Beth had so many wonderful qualities. She cared so much for the little ones especially my Ken and Jan, sending them notes, small gifts and remembrances now and then. Jan wants to join Beth in heaven now and tell her she misses her already! Through talks with Beth I know how she truly cared for her nieces and nephews and family. We are all going to feel the great loss of Beth and her loving ways. What a wonderful daughter you have shared with us. Thank you.

Irma Johnson, Colleague at the Salvation Army Preschool in Torrance, CA.

I would like to share this with you: I work with Beth at the Salvation Army, In Torrance, CA. (Preschool) I was her aid, and she was really nice to me; she made me feel special. Beth would say to me, when I felt as no one loved me or cared, she would say to me, Ms. Erma, you are special to me! You always make me laugh when I'm not feeling so good. I will always remember you.

Cathie Dalrymple, a cousin.

I have such happy memories of Beth. She was such fun to pal around with when your family came to visit ours. Beth could always make me laugh. I have fond memories of her when I stayed with you for a couple of days when I was in high school. We had fun at the beach, sightseeing and just bumming around. Although there were always many miles between us, I always felt close to her, and I will miss her.

Steve Gruenwald, a friend from Torrance, CA.

Our hearts are full of warm memories of her bubbly personality. She touched and cheered so many lives here, and we are sure she is doing just that on the other side.

Carol Ridge, a cousin.

I will always remember Beth as a beautiful, caring, loving, happy, enduring person. I am grateful to have known her.

Charlie and Ruth Stanley, Podge's brother and his wife.

We remember Beth's laughter, what a good friend she was, her generosity, and how much she loved her family. Our lives have been blessed by the short presence of Beth Gorton on this earth.

Heidi Ashcraft, Torrance, CA Redondo Second Ward.

Beth was such a special girl and always so supportive of me in Laurel Class, then again when I was R.S. President. She always had a smile and warmth. I know she's a special missionary right now. Her sweet spirit and love of children is undoubtedly being used in the spirit world.

Clint and Carol Hales, Torrance, CA Redondo Second Ward.

She is a wonderful person and is loved by everyone who knows her. She's gone to serve a great mission for the Lord.

Mona and Milt Starley, Bountiful 31st Ward.

Beth was so sweet, so friendly, so beautiful.

Dennis McDougle another very close friend, along with Greg.

How sorry I am to hear the very sad news. I feel such an incredible loss knowing Beth is no longer physically with us... Beth gave unconditionally to me for so many years. My teenage and adult years are my most cherished memories, thanks to the love, kindness and friendship of Beth and your entire family.

Janice Bagley, Torrance, CA Redondo Second Ward.

She was such a sweet and loving person, so kind to children.

Molly Mortensen, Farel Rush, Lucille Starr, formerly of Columbus, Ohio.

A contribution of living flowers has been sent to celebrate Beth's life of service and her love of children to the Primary Children’s Medical Center.

Last Friday, May 5, I flew in the Acroduster with Glen Olsen from Bountiful to Santa Rosa, CA. to attend a Starduster fly-in. A weather system was centered over Salt Lake and the mountain passes to the west were all closed, so we flew south to St. George, then to Barstow, then to Los Banos and on to Santa Rosa with stiff head winds all the way. Glen let me pilot the airplane the entire trip. It took us 10.5 hours air time Bountiful to Santa Rosa. On Saturday I had the opportunity to fly a Starduster with the only acrobatically qualified Starduster pilot there, and was able to try a few maneuvers. In the afternoon we participated in a formation flight of the Acro, four Stardusters and a Stearman to have pictures taken. We returned home Sunday morning. Weather clear as far as Sacramento. Over the Yosemite area we dodged around light billowy cumulus at 10,500 feet—an absolutely awesome experience. Over Reno the weather began to deteriorate. We landed for gas at Battle Mountain. Out of Battle Mountain we ran into rain squalls which we had to circumnavigate. Because of the bad weather we were following the highway west. The terrain elevation increased and the ceiling lowered until the two met, and our progress was stopped. So we flew north and were able to slide over a pass into cleared air. We flew north of the restricted area along the railroad across the Great Salt Lake, and landed in Bountiful at 3:30 pm after a 6‑hour flight. Fabulous experience!

Our stake patriarch Richard Fluhman, who had become a rather close personal friend, passed away about six weeks ago. His son, Roger Fluhman, is the stake president and also the secretary to the Quorum of the Twelve. When Elder David B. Haight, of the Quorum of the Twelve, saw my name on the funeral program as an honorary pall bearer, he asked President Fluhman to tell us to give him a ring on the phone. We did so, and he invited us to lunch with him today at the Church office building. He had visited the Argentina North Mission when we presided over the mission there and remembered us from that time. While there we were able to say hello to President Gordon B. Hinckley, who also toured our mission, and to Elder L. Tom Perry, with whom we had some dealings while presiding over the Missionary Training Center in Santiago, Chile. We also greeted Elders Neal Maxwell, Russell M. Nelson and Russell Ballard of the Council of the Twelve, and Elder Craig Zwick, recently called into the First Quorum of the Seventy. Elder Zwick was President of the Santiago South Mission while we were in Chile.

Today has been a memorable day. Last fall, responding to requests from some of the ward members, I began teaching a Spanish class at the Church. The students have done well. They have studied hard and stayed with the class all winter. Because of the pending visit of Podge's sister, Dorothy (Dolly) Devereaux, due to arrive next Tuesday, I terminated the class for the summer. Last night we held a party for the class members and their spouses. Nine attended. We served empanadas, dulce de leche, queso con dulce de membrillo and máte. An enjoyable evening.

The planned air show has materialized and activity is now at a fever pitch. I have been appointed chairman of the advertising and aerial activities committees. More about the air-show at a later date.

June 8, 1995 Dolly arrived on schedule on May 16. During that week we toured down‑town Salt Lake and saw the film, Legacy, in the Joseph Smith Memorial building. On Sunday May 20, we attended the Tabernacle Choir broadcast. The next day we visited Bryce and Zion National Parks and stayed overnight in St. George. On Tuesday we traveled to Las Vegas, where we visited the Red Canyon, Boulder Dam and saw the show Mystere, at the Treasure Island hotel, where we stayed. On Thursday we drove home in time for me to teach the last lesson in the Adult Education Spanish Class that I taught at Fairview high school.

Our daughter, Becky, with her husband, Shane and their four children, Joshua, Ashley, Jereme and Lauren, arrived on Monday, May 29, from Lomita, California, and stayed with us until the following Monday. On Wednesday we visited the Kennecot copper mines and then drove up American Fork canyon and picnicked at Aspen Grove, then drove home through Provo Canyon. On Thursday I took Becky and Shane and their four children for rides in a Cessna 150. On Friday we visited the new park on Antelope Island.

Our son, Stephen, also arrived on May 29 from Pomona, California, to look for work. His work environment at EL ARCA (The East Los Angeles Retarded Citizens Association) had become intolerable and he turned in his resignation. He contacted Kim Olsen, our niece, who worked in a health care center in Orem, and was hired there to help expand their program. He returned to California on June 7 to get his family. He will start work any time after June 19.

July 19, 1995 On Monday, June 12 we took Dolly to the Teton National Park, via Soda Springs, Idaho and over the Teton Pass. On Tuesday we rafted down the Snake River; on Wednesday we took a launch to Elk Island in Jackson Lake for a cowboy breakfast; Wednesday we visited Yellowstone Park, and Thursday returned home. Dolly left for England on Sunday, June 25.

On Saturday, the 24th, we held the 3rd annual Columbus, Ohio Old-Timers Reunion at Washington Park between Salt Lake and Park City. Approximately 100 people attended. It was voted to hold the reunion from now on every other year, and Ed Raiser was appointed chairman of the next reunion. I have been the reunion secretary for the past reunions, but a new secretary will be chosen for the next one. The Intermountain Air show, jointly sponsored by the Confederate Air Force and Salt Lake Chapter 23 of the Experimental Aircraft Association took place as scheduled on June 2, 3, and 4. The weather was marginal so the crowds were not large. However, full aerobatic routines were performed by Lewis Bjorke in a Pitts S‑2 and Randy Harris, from Long Beach, CA. in a Steen Skybolt 300 and by an FM4 Wildcat and an F8F Bearcat, WWII fighter planes.

On July 7 I was set apart as an ordinance worker at the Bountiful Temple by President Godfrey, a counselor to Temple President Harold Yancey. (President Yancey was an Argentine missionary during my time as a missionary in Argentina in 1946-49.) My work hours will be from 5 to 11 am on Wednesdays and Thursdays. Podge was not able to serve because as a consequence of the replacement of her knees two years ago she cannot stand for the extended time that would be required.

Stephen and family arrived on Monday, June 26 and started work the following Monday. He and his family stayed with us until he found an apartment and moved to Pleasant Grove on July 17.

On July 10 the Sterrett Family Reunion was held at Wilderness Park in Provo, that included the descendants of my Mother, Dorothy Sterrett Gorton Poll, and her brothers and sisters. About 40 people attended.

Today was my first shift as an ordinance worker at the Bountiful Temple (5:00 to 11:00 am). I went to the temple yesterday and memorized the ordinances that I didn't know.

August 16, 1995 Glen Olsen invited me to travel to Oshkosh, Wisconsin with him in his Acroduster biplane to attend the annual EAA Convention. He let me fly the airplane essentially all the way. Upon our return he suggested that I write the experience for the Starduster Newsletter. Following is the account, which will also appear in the next issue of the Salt Lake Chapter 23 EAA newsletter:

Fulfillment of a Dream. The thrill of flying started for me with a ride in an open-cockpit Waco biplane in 1932 when I was 9 years old. Since that time I have never been able to resist the impulse to search the skies whenever I hear the drone of an engine overhead. Imagine my feelings when Glen Olsen invited me to accompany him to the EAA Oshkosh Convention in his award winning Acroduster and to participate in the Starduster fly-in at Wautoma. (I must insert that after a lifetime of searching the skies and reliving the thrill experienced as a 9‑year‑ old kid, I finally got my private pilot's license in 1992 at the age of 69.) So now I am a novice pilot experiencing the fulfillment of a lifetime of dreams. Les and Mary Holman, from Pleasanton, CA and Dave Baxter and his son, Dan, from Lake Oswego, OR, had flown to Salt Lake Municipal #2 in their beautiful Stardusters, and we hooked up with them Tuesday morning, July 25 on the way to our first stop in Rawlins, WY flight time 2 hrs. 10 min.

The fun began on our second leg from Rawlins to Scotts Bluff, NE, when Glen introduced me to formation flying. It's one thing to fly from point A to point B, but the perspective provided by having another plane in the near vicinity was to me awesome, especially when the other plane was an open-cockpit biplane similar to the one I had been dreaming about for more than sixty years. Flying formation is a challenge for a novice - lots of heavy throttle work to get in position and hold and then lots of attention to stay there.

Our third leg was from Scotts Bluff to O'Neall, NE. We overnighted in O'Neall. Dave Baxter, however, spent the night with a friend who had a grass strip on his farm about 30 miles away. At O'Neall we met Harry from Arroyo Grande, CA, who flew in with a sleek Thorp T‑18 and decided to join us on the first leg out Wednesday morning. So we followed Les and Mary over to the farm. Harry, however, lost sight of us so Les told him he would lay a smoke trail over the runway so he could find us. Flying formation is great, but to stay on the tail of another airplane, especially as he maneuvers to make a low pass is another thrill. I almost imagined having machine guns mounted ahead of the cockpit.

This leg provided yet a new thrill. A weather system comprised of stratocum with tops about 5500 inserted itself in our path and we had to circumnavigate to the south. We flew over the clouds, keeping contact with the ground off to our right. I couldn't resist the temptation to dive down and weave around in the canyons of the clouds. The beauty and thrill of flying close to the tops of those billowy cumulus is almost a religious experience. We crossed the Missouri River and landed at Dodge City, IO after a flight of 2 hrs. 10 min. The last leg into Wautoma (2 hrs. 20 min.) provided nothing new, but I was still on a high from the previous leg.

The Wautoma airport with its grass strip, the arriving biplanes, the casual hospitality of the FBO and the camaraderie of the pilots, reminded me of what it must have been like in the old days. We spent the first two days at Oshkosh and the next two days at Wautoma. Oshkosh seems too big to even describe, but one never tires of watching aerial displays. I'd have a hard time deciding which I liked best, Oshkosh or Wautoma. There were plenty of aerobatics at Wautoma also, and I saw a lot of people, kids and adults alike, who seemed to have the same feelings I experienced in my first flight in 1932, as they had the opportunity to fly for the first time in an open-cockpit biplane. The kindness of the pilots and their interest in giving rides was inspirational, and I'll be forever indebted to Harvey Neuman and Les Holman and to Steve Nice from near Flint, Michigan, for letting me try my hand at aerobatics in their airplanes.

We started the trip home on Monday morning in the company of Bill and Fran Riech, from Salt Lake City, in their Dakota, and Lyle Taylor and Cecil Vinson, from Wasato, WA in their red, white and blue Starduster. We landed at Forest City, IO after a flight of 2 hrs. 15 min. Not surprisingly, Lyle and Cecil arrived at the first stop without the replacement spinner that Dick Larson made for them at Wautoma. Perhaps Dick ought to add a quality control department to his spinner production enterprise. A frontal system was approaching from the west with both rain and thunderstorms. It looked like we could beat the storm into O'Neall, NE. so we took off at 10:55 am. On arriving at O'Neall after a flight of 2 hrs. 5 min., we learned that the Dakota had been losing oil. However, the problem was solved by securing a loose filler cap. A possibly greater problem occurred during Lyle and Cecil's flight. It was warm when we left Wautoma although it was only 7:00 am, so the intrepid Starduster flyers stowed their leather jackets. It was even warmer when we landed at Forest City. In spite of the arriving front, Cecil convinced Lyle to leave his cold weather gear in the storage compartment. We had departed Forest City first in the Acroduster, followed closely by Bill and Fran. After our initial contact with Lyle and Cecil we were never able to raise them again. (We learned later that after getting under way, they turned the radio off.) We quickly flew under an overcast, typical of a warm front. As we flew west the ceiling lowered, the temperature dropped and it began to rain. By the time we landed at O'Neall we were scud running at 500 AGL. Lyle and Cecil landed about 10 minutes later, soaked to the skin and frozen stiff. It's lucky for Cecil that Lyle was too cold to move. However, as they warmed up by the heater, Lyle's temper warmed up too, and Cecil escaped the anticipated wrath. After the passage of the front, we left O'Neall at 4:50 pm for Scotts Bluff, arriving after a flight of 2 hrs. 5 min. Lyle and Cecil spent the night with Cecil's sister in Scotts Bluff, Bill and Fran pushed on to Salt Lake City, and Glen and I found the last available room in the last hotel in town. In the morning Lyle and Cecil headed for Oregon and we retraced our route to Salt Lake City through Rawlins, WY. Now I have a new dream to own a Starduster Too. I hope it doesn't take me another 60 years for the realization of this dream.

September 12, 1995 On August 22 Podge went to Lomita, CA to spend a week with our daughter, Becky. That Weekend Stephen and Teresa drove down to pick up their children, Joey and Randee, who had spent a month with their Mother in Torrance. Arriving to within a mile of Becky's place, the engine of Stephen's car blew up. The engine and other parts had to be replaced at a cost of $4500. Stephen had only recently moved to Pleasant Grove, Utah from Pomona, CA, and had no financial reserves. Fortunately, Podge had our credit card with her and was able to pay for the repairs. Steve will pay the debt off on a monthly basis.

On Thursday, September 7, Podge and I flew to Mesa, Arizona with Mike Perkins in his Cessna T210, and the next day to Gallup, New Mexico. We then drove to Window Rock, Arizona to attend the annual Navajo Nation fair. In Window Rock we met a bus load of the board of directors of the American Indian Affairs Association, of which Mike is a member and Dale Tingey is the Chairman. Mike's wife, Gayle, came down on the bus, along with Hartman Rector, Jr. and his wife. Since Elder Rector had to perform a wedding in the Salt Lake Temple on Saturday at 10:00 am, we gave him and his wife our seats on the plane and we stayed in Window Rock to see the parade and rode home on the bus, arriving at 1:30 am Sunday morning. I flew the plane from Salt Lake to Mesa to Gallup - a total of about four hours.

Yesterday I signed up with Jay Whiting to market products in the Market America multilevel marketing organization. Our present income level, comprised of Social Security and a small withdrawal from our retirement fund, is just sufficient to maintain ourselves. Since I want to continue my flying activity more income is necessary. The plan is to earn enough within a year to buy a Starduster.

February 21, 1996 To date the Market America activity has been retail only, since I have not yet found anyone to sign up down-line. I am still working on a couple of possibilities. However, I have joined forces with Kelly Jarvis, a chiropractor in Heber, Utah, who was one of my missionaries in Argentina, to market a water purifier called Sterilight. We are starting as a partnership in a sole proprietorship. We have researched the product and its application. It is manufactured in Florida and we are attempting to get an exclusive franchise to market it west of the Mississippi. We are each putting $1000.00 into a business account and will order six units to start with. We will advertise for salesmen to market the product.

On January 15 I flew to Heber with Glen Olsen in his Acroduster, and while there was given a ride in a P‑51 by Russ McDonald who owns the airplane and maintains it at the Heber airport. We did loops, chandelles and rolls between 250 and 300 mph.

On the 1st of February I was appointed baptistery director on the Wednesday shift at the Temple. Such appointments are for approximately six months.

In January I signed up with Burgoyne Computer for Internet service. Since then I have been able to communicate with son, David, in Okinawa, and daughter, Becky, in Lomita, CA., as well as with others, by electronic mail instant transmission. Because of this innovation, regular postal service is now called snail mail.