Journal of William Wilson Sterrett

1825 - 1910

William Wilson Sterrett
I, William Wilson Sterrett, was born on the 18th of November 1825 in Ross Township, Butler County, Ohio, near the town of Venice.

My schooling consisted of Reading, Writing and Arithmetic. Books in those days were scarce. My mother was naturally a good woman and taught me to be honest and to respect the name of the deity. She was a good woman and done the best she knew how. Father was worldly minded, but an honest man. I served two years at the tailoring business, and spent a few years on the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers steam boating until the Mexican war commenced. I then went to Mexico in the Quarter Master Department. Remained in that country until the treaty of peace. Then went back to Ohio in 1848. I heard a rumor of the discovery of gold before leaving Mexico.

In the spring of 1849 I was full of the gold fever. Started for California, but only got to Iowa that season. In the spring of 1850 started and arrived in Salt Lake City on the 8th day of August. In all my ups and downs I had many temptations to pass through. I also had many reflections in regard to a future state. I being a firm in the existence of a supreme being, but as I never had found any person that could tell me any more than my mother had instilled into me I of course was very ignorant. But thanks be to God I was amongst a people who could inform me. I had always been a reader and always read everything that came in my way.

During the winter of 1850 I read the Book of Mormon, Voice of Warning and some other works, and I became convinced of the Faith, the Holy Ghost enlightening my mind to that extent that I Knew for myself of the truth, that it was of God. There was many Gentiles in the city during this winter, and some of them joined the Church. They were called Winter Mormons. I held off, not wishing to be called a Winter Mormon, until the most of them had bid farewell to Mormonism as well as Salt Lake City.

In May 1857 I was baptized by Elder Ruben McBride in the waters of City Creek.

I married the daughter of Elder Simeon Crandel. She being re-baptized at the same time and by the same Elder. Her name is Mary Jane. After confirmation, that same fall I was ordained at Teacher in the 19th Ward under the hands of Bishop James Hendricks and others. Continued in that office until 1852. Ordained a Seventy under the hands of George D. Grant., William ? Kimball, and James Ferouson, and was put in the 33rd Quorum of Seventies. Received our Endowment in the upper room of the Council House, as it was called in those days. Helped break ground for the foundation of the Temple.

In November 1853 went with Bro. John Nebeker as Capt. to Fort Bridger. Went south of Bridger 12 miles and built Fort Supply. Sometime in December found we didn’t have flour enough to last all hands until spring. Eight of us were sent with our wagons to Salt Lake for a supply. The winter set in early and when we got within about one half mile of the top of the big mountain the snow became so deep that we had to camp, the oxen not being able to pull the wagons.

We counciled what was best to do. Some was for returning, but some of us was for pushing ahead. The snow was about five feet deep and snowing still. Six of us concluded to try and tramp a trail to the top of the mountain. We started about eight o’clock PM and took it single file. One kept the lead as long as he could stand it, then fell back to the read and waited until he again came in the lead. By this means we worked our way by sunrise the next morning to the top, and went back and drove our oxen along our trail. When we got them to the summit the crust bore them up. We left our waggons there that winter. We sent a man to the city of Horseback for help and by two o’clock plenty of help came, and we got to the city that night. Spent winter in the city. Next spring went back. Bro. Orson Hyde going with us. Remained during the summer and fall, returned to city and spent winter. In the spring of 1855 at the April conference I, with about forty others, was called to take a mission amongst the Elk Mountain Utes. By referring to my journal, I find that I left May 9th in company with Elder Stephen B Moore, Lot E Huntington and Christopher C Perkins. With two yoke of cattle on our wagon, our journey through the settlements to the city of Manti was pleasent. The people of the settlements were kind and hospitable.

May 21st left the good people of Manti and resumed our journey to Six Mile Creek and camped. We numbered forty one men, 15 waggons. Bro. A.N. Billings, Capt. with Joseph Rawlins wagon-master, and Capt. of Guard. June 2nd arrived at Green River. Next day being Sunday we laid over and held meeting, a number of natives being present. They were invited to hear Bro. L.G. Metcalf, who spoke to them in their own language. They manifested a good spirit and listened attentively.

We commenced ferring our waggons, lost one wheel. Finished ferring and swimming stock on the eight. Broke camp and resumed our journey, and arrived at Grand River on the 10th and camped. Commenced swimming stock and ferring waggons the next morning and finished on the 15th. No accident occurred. On the 16th commenced operations for building, taking out water, stalking plans etc. etc. The 17th being Sunday we held a meeting after which we all refrained to the waters side and were re-baptized and confirmed. We then were ready to build, plant, and sow. We put in all kinds of seeds which grew finely. The valley was small but was of good soil, quick to bring forth. Our fort was built of rock and our corall of cottonwood logs forming a stockade. Some of the brethren visited the Navijose. On the 22nd of July we baptized 15 Indians and confirmed them, being 14 males and 1 female. Ordained 4 of them Elders. On the 23rd a party of brethren started east for the Elk Mountains.

In the meantime Arrapene, the Utes Chief, visited us on his way to the Navajose country.

When he returned brot 4 Navajoses with him. The Utes and the Navajose made a treaty, and on August 10th both parties left for their respective homes. On the 7th of September we baptised 18 more of the Natives and confirmed them members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Sept 12th Bro. Billings and party got back from the Navajose Country, and on the 15th a Son of Chief Qucit.Sub.Socuits, came in and reported his father very sick, and wanted some the Mormons to come to his lodge (about 12 miles) and to administer to him. A party of the brethren went and found the Chief quite ill. Administered to him and returned the next day, and on the 17th the old chief came to camp feeling first rate. On the 18th 2 more natives were baptised. We had our first new potatoes on the 20th. The Indians took a good portion of our vegitables, and some of them were getting rather saucy and mean. They had taken some of our horses and cattle also, besides taking our vegitation. Out of the 41 brethren of the mission there were only left at our fort 16 men. The rest had gone to the Settlements to see their families. On Saturday the 22nd two of the brethren went on to the Mountain to hunt sheep. William Buchanon and Edward Edwards. This was the last time we ever saw them. We concluded they were killed by the Indians as were heard seven shots fired on the mountain. The 23rd we changed our heard around. This we done for fear that the Indians would steal them. However, about 8 or 10 of them came up to the fort and wanted to know why we changed our heard around. We tried to satisfy them by saying to get them on bunch grass, but they were mad and bent on mischief.

At about eleven o’clock this same son of the Chief Qucit.Sub.Socuits came to fort and called Bro. James Wiseman Hunt to get a rope and go and catch his (Bro. Hunt’s) horse, as he wanted to trade for him. They started out, the Indian on horseback and Bro. Hunt on foot, walking ahead of him. He asked where the stock was and he pointed the heard out, and as he done so the Indian shot him. The ball struck him on the left of the back bone and ranging down lodged in the left thigh. The Indian then came back to the fort or within a couple of hundred yards and called to an Indian that stood there talking, who immediately started with him over the river.

Bro. Hunt called for help. The two who were guarding stock heard him and ran to him. He requested them to administer to him, which they did. One of them, Bro. Cutler, then came running to the fort, but too late for us to overtake the murderer. The brethren all started for the wounded man. Three of us taking our rifles and revolvers. As soon as Hunt was shot the Indians run off five head of horses across the river. When we arrived where Bro. Hunt lay we got him in a blanket and started for fort, Bro. Williams on horseback driving the horses.

We looked towards the river and here come about twenty Indians on horses painted black as crows carrying rifles. They came up to within about two hundred yards and fired. As I said, there was but three of us armed. Cutler, Huntington and myself. We returned their fire.

We were then about three fourths of a mile from camp. We kept them back so that the brethren could go ahead with the wounded brother. One Indian dismounted and crept up to good shooting distance, had us all in range and fired. The ball passed close to the head of Cutler and myself and struck Bro. Billings in the front finger of his right hand as he was carring one corner of the blanket. They continued to fire on us until we reached the fort. However, we succeeded in getting our stock all in the corrall. The Natives then went to the NE of the fort where they continued to fire on the corrall and fort till dark. They succeeded in setting fire to our hay that was stacked against the corrall, but the Indian who fired it paid the penalty with his life.

We kept up our guard all night and doing everything that could be done for Bro. Hunt, but he died about one o’clock the next morning, September 24th.

James Wiseman Hunt was a good exemplar Latter Day Saint, a true believer in the principals of the Everlasting Gospel, and died a marter to the faith, and I hope to meet him in the Resurrection of the just. He was a son of Daniel Hunt and has a brother at this writing, 1895, a bishop at St. Charles, Idaho.

On the morning of the 24th all was confusion. Indians all around and inside our fort. Had also sent for the ballence of band. We concluded to leave all to them and get away, if we could. They having shut off our water, which came from a spring NE of fort and run through our fort. Consequently we would have been without water in a few hours. If all our brethren had been there we could have held out longer.

We saddled up a horse a piece and one or two pack animals, leaving 15 waggons and about eighty head of cattle and in fact everything we had but the horses we rode and our arms. We rode out of the fort gate expecting every moment to be fired on, but through the mercy of our Heavenly Father we got safely away.

Many incidents occurred that is not necessary to mention. Not many of our brethren felt like shedding any more of the blood of the Lamanites. We had a better feeling for them than they for us, and I can say that the brethren of that Mission almost to man regreted that we had to, in self defence, do as much as we did. The Indians folowed us to Grand River, where we crossed and traveled until dark, made camp but built no fires.

After crossing Green River, Bro. Billings selected three of us, C.A. Huntington, Richard W. James and myself to travel up the river and to strike the Spanish Fork trail to intercept any of our brethren that might be coming back. We took about three days provision and started, the Co. keeping on the trail we went out.

Nothing of note occurred with us for the first two days. Our provisions were fast growing less. We also found ourselves in a strange predicament. The trail we were in search of, I presume, had become obliterated, for we never found it. We got entirely out of provisions, and went four days without eating. We then ripped off our mocasins soles which were of rawhide and roasted them, but it was poor food. Also killed a small dog that folowed us and eat him. By this time we had become so weak that we could not hunt for game. Our horses were becoming jaded as well as ourselves. We were in a manner barefoot as well as terably discouraged. We knew that we must travel NW to get out to the Vallies, but the prospect was discouraging, for when we would climb to the highest peak, there were a dozen more ahead of us higher than the one we were on. We at last came to an Indian encampment on Green River. One of our party went on ahead to the camp and being a good interpreter told them who we were. Also that we were starving, and told of our troubles with the Indians on Grand, which came very near lossing us our scalps. Any person that knows anything of the Indian nature knows that if you have trouble with one all are angry. The Utes are a very revengefull tribe. And as the whole story was told that we had killed some of them and they had killed three of our brethren, thy naturaly became angry. The Chief of this band was called Black Pine. When we got to their camp they treated us kindly, and gave us first a little bread, after an hour or so they gave us a little more, and in the afternoon they set out a camp kettle full of deer meat boiled to rages, and told us to eat all we wanted. This we done and suffered no inconvenience. The Chief put our traps in his lodge, and told us to make our beds by the side of his lodge, which we done, and lay down to sleep not aprehending any danger. But a kind Providence was watching over us.

The Indians went into council and kept it up until about twelve o’clock, whether to kill us or not. Every Indian but the Chief was in favor of taking our scalps. Their argument was that we had killed some of their kindred, Brothers, Fathers, Cousins or some relative, and that we deserved to die. However, the Chief prevailed and we were alowed to live.

I will have to brake the thread of our narrative to tell how we found all this out. The next year Richard W. James, one of our party became interpreter on the Spanish Fork Farm for the Indian Agent Doctor Forney. During that summer Chief Black Pine came in and recognised Bro. James and told him what is above written.

The next morning we left our Indian friends, they giving us a small sack of dried meat, and told us to go up the River about twenty five miles and there we would strike a trail made in the spring by White Eyes band, but as usual with us when we got there the trail was not in sight. Again we were thrown on our own reserves. Suffice to say that we made our way slowly to the head water of Provo River, foot sore, almost naked and weary. Here we knew not where we were, and at this particular point the kanyon seemed to turn to the south. We knew that was not our direciton. We were in quite a quandery which way to go. We here killed one our horses and dried a part for future use. That night I retired apart from the brethren, and besought the Lord in prayer that he would show me the way out. The answer came in a dream, to go down the stream. In the morning I told my dream and they were willing. We packed one horse, and rode one, and two of us on foot. And on the second day reached Provo City, where the people came very near killing us with kindness. Reached Salt Lake City on the 20th day of October, where we found our families and friends in a state of great excitement. President Brigham Young had white men and Indians scouring the South in all directions. We were in the mountains twenty four days. My weight when I got home was one hundred and fifteen lbs. My usual weight being one hundred and fifty five lbs. End of Mission.

Along about the first of November I started with a posse for the Humbolt to arrest a man for murder, or supposed murder.

His name was Carl Murry and was accused of killing George Sandfenie on the southern route the year before. Had cold, stormy time but got the man and returned to Salt Lake in about thirty days, where he was tried and acquitted. When I again arrived at home I weighted one hundred and fifty two lbs.

Great Salt Lake City, June 29th, 1852

A blessing by John Smith, Patriarch, upon the head of William Wilson Sterrett, son of Alexander and Elizabeth Sterrett, born November 18th, 1825, Butler County, Ohio.

Brother William, in the name of Jesus of Nazareth I place my hands upon thy head and in as much as you have obeyed the gospel with a perfect heart in the midst of persecution, I seal upon you the blessing of a Father, even all the blessing of the New and Everlasting Covenant. Thou art of the blood and lineage of Ephraim, and a lawful heir to all the blessing of the Priesthood and every favor that was sealed upon his children, which shall be conferred upon you and your children. I seal upon you the blessing of health, also with power to heal the sick and do any miracle to forward the cause of Zion. Thou art appointed to push the people together from the ends of the earth. No power shall stay thy hand. Thou shall cause thousands to believe thy testimony. Every place that seemeth good unto thee, they posterity shall be numerous and great in Israel clothed with all the authority of the Priesthood and mighty to take vengeance on the enemies of the Lord. You shall see the winding up scene of this generation, shall inherit all the blessings and glories of Zion with all your Father’s house, even eternal live. Amen.

WW Sterrett, Recorded in Book G, Page 160, No. 373.

Great Salt Lake City, June 29th, 1852

A blessing by John Smith, patriarch, upon the head of Mary Jane Sterrett, daughter of Simeon and Sarah Crandel, born May 15t 1827.Guiaga Co. State of Ohio.

Sister beloved of the Lord in the name of Jesus of Nazareth I place my hands upon thy head and seal upon you the blessings of a father, even the blessings and priesthood that was sealed upon the children of Ephraim. In common with thy companion, for thou art of the same blood and lineage with him. Thou shalt heave the ministering of angels which shall be a great comfort to you. You shall be blessed in every work you put your hand to do. You shall have health, pace and plenty in your habitation. Your able shall be supplied with every good thing. Your children shall grow up about you healthy and fair, spread forth upon the mountains like Jacob’s, have part in the priesthood, be saviors on Mount Zion. Your wisdom shall be great. None shall resist you. Your name shall be honorable amongst the saints forever. You shall live to see the winding up scenes of this generation, have part in the first resurrection with all your Father’s house, and inherit a kingdom and a dominion that shall never pass away. Even so, Amen.

Mary Jane Sterrett, Recorded in Book G, page 161, No. 374.

Remained in the city during winter. The grasshoppers had been plentiful that year and had destroyed a great portion of the corps. As a consequence flour was scarce and hard to get, but thanks to Israel’s God we were not without. In the spring of 1856 I was again called to go and take my family to Fort Supply. I think we had about twenty pounds of flour to start on. However, we had plenty from that time on. I had a good house there, and we were soon comfortable. Farmed during the season. Made new farm and planted all kinds of grain and vegetables. The people generally prospered. Also had a sawmill in operation, lumber plentiful. In the spring of 1857 we were a blest people, had everything in abundance, cattle, horses and provision of all kinds. During the summer rumors of an army coming reached us. On August 30th, Bro. Lewis Robison came up from Bridger and he with our President, Isaac Bullock, called a meeting. They wanted the men to go to the East to the Cherokee Trail to see that we were not surprised by any of the coming army. On the 31st ten of us started on the expedition or mission. That night after supper we organized. M.N. Crandle Capt. WW Sterrett clerk. The names of the others were James Oakley, Jas A ?, Solomon Cowley, Clinton Williams, Peter Wentworth, John Sessions, Fredrick Bradshaw, Wm. S. Lish. There also an Indian, Shoshone John, so called. Suffice it to say, we performed the work we were called to do, and returned to find our homes destroyed, our families and all gone. Word had been given for all to come to Salt Lake and they were en-route.

During the summer of 1856 I took a little half bred boy to raise. He was born August 26, 1955. In fact, adopted him. His name is Charles Quin Sterrett. His father was a white man named William Quin. His mother a Shoshone woman, and he is with us till this day, 1895.

We overtook our families and arrived safely in Salt Lake City. After arranging my affairs the best I could I was then ready for business.

On November 7th Bro. Joshua Terry and myself were called to take some dispatches from Pres. Brigham Young. The first ever sent to the army. We left that morning. In the afternoon met Bro. Lewis Robison with a band of cattle belonging to him and Bro. Terry. Here Bro. Terry left me and returned with the stock. I went on to General Wells headquarters and reported. The General says, “William, are you afraid to go?” “No sir.” He said,” They may take you prisoner but they won’t hurt you.” He sent a young man with me by the name of Meecham. Also wrote a letter to the commander. The army at this time were encamped on Mams Fork about ten miles above its confluence with Blacks Fork, Col. Alexander in command. General Johnson had not yet arrived. On the morning of the 10th we arrive at the Grand encampment. Rode up to the Cols quarters, and hailed an express from Salt Lake.

The Col. Himself came out, invited us to dismount and come in. Ordered our horses cared for and treated us very kindly. Asked us many questions in relation to matters pertaining to our army, how many there were and where posted. Also where General Wells headquarters were, and of which we answered to suit the times. He then sent an orderly with us to look over the camp, thinking no doubt to impress us with their wonderful power and strength.

We left the camp in the afternoon and made our way to General Wells headquarters, which were then at Echo Kanyon. I was then detailed for scouting and kept that up until we knew where they would have to winter. I was then with Bro. Alfred Randle Jun., sent in with Governor Cummin’s Proclamation. Left Cache Cave about four o’clock P.M. and arrived at Pres. Zorings office about 4 A.M. This was in December 1857.

The spring of 1858 we went in the great exodus to Beaver City. Remained there until the latter part of June. Came back to Salt Lake where I went into the hotel business. Sent for my family who rejoined me in August. Continued in business until winter. Then sold out. Spent the winter working at Tailoring. In 1859 again went into the hotel business during that season, but it proved a financial failure. Then bought a place in the 15th Ward. Continued to work at my trade. (The spring of 1860 hired to Major Normand Egan to go west to help protect the mail line. Staid in his employ doing duty on the mail line, also on the Pony Express until the fall of 1861). Then bought a place in the 7th Ward of Salt Lake City. Jonathan Pugmire, Bishop of Ward. Bought a place in Davis County and remained there until the fall of 1863. Went to Bear Lake, came back December. Started with tow pack mules loaded with mail matter for Bannock City, Montana. Started the 1st day of January, 1864. Got back in February. In spring moved my family to Bear Lake. Settled in Paris.

Sarah Ann Oakey
Went into merchandising in Co. With JC Rich. Followed that for an number of years. Farmed some. Then in 1867 I entered in to celestial marriage with Sarah Ann Oakey, daughter of Thomas and Ann Oakey. A son was born on Sept. 20, named Joseph Kimball. In 1869 went on a short mission to the State of Ohio where I was born. I had another son born while I was away on the 1st of March, 187 named Simeon Ralph. I returned that spring. Went to live at Soda Springs in 1871.

In 1872 another son born Feb 9th named Thomas Alexander. Went in to the hotel business. Also built a large house in 1873 on the 25th of November a daughter was born named Ada May.

During the time I lived in Bear Lake and at the time the Stake was organized I was ordained a High Priest and was one of the High Council. I was also the first Post Master, which office I held until I came to Soda Springs.

Also was Post Master at Soda Springs. Times getting dull I moved to Gentile Valley. Was elected Justice of the Peace. Made several trips to Montana hauling passengers. Finally came back to Soda Springs. Here I lost my eldest son, Joseph Kimball Sterrett, who had both feet frozen while hunting in the mountains. Was taken to Salt Lake to St. Mary’s Hospital, where Doctor Benedict amputated both feet above the ankles. But he only lived about sixteen hours. Brought him to Soda Springs for burial. Died January 4th, 1885.

Sold out in Soda Springs and moved to Gentile Valley. Bro. Pond Bishop.

Before leaving Soda Springs I got certificates for myself and wife from the Stake President William Budge and the bishop of Soda Springs, Daniel F. Lau, giving us permission and recommending us to the House of the Lord.

A post office was started and I was appointed Post Master and elected for carrying the mail which I continued to do until July 1906.

Emma Arminta Harris
Simeon Ralph Sterrett
Simeon R. Sterrett married Emma 1892. Emma A. Harris, born at Richmond, Cache County, Utah, September 2nd 1872, daughter of Alex and Harriet Harris. Born to them on December 29th a girl named Mary Ruth and blessed by Elders B. Ruud, Herbert Horsley and he grandfather, WW Sterrett, WW Sterrett being mouth. Born on August 20th 1894 a daughter named Harriet Leah and blessed under the hands of Elders Lewis S Pond, John Gouch and WW Sterrett, the latter being mouth. A daughter born on January the 10th, 1898 named Mable Josephine, blessed on May 29th under the hands of Elders LS Pond and WW Sterrett, the latter being mouth. Born to them on Apr 22th, 1900 at Cove, Idaho a daughter and blessed on May 1st and named Sarah Dorleska by Alex Harris and WW Sterrett, the latter being mouth. Born to them on Feb 14th 1902 a daughter, on Feb. 24th blessed and named Neta under the hands of WW Sterrett, John Harris and Simeon R. Sterrett, WW Sterrett being mouth. Again, on the 1st day of June blessed under the hands of the bishoprick of Thatcher Ward, Bishop Ira Hogan and George Peck, the former being mouth.

L to R: Stanford Sterrett, Nita Sterrett Long, Clifton Sterrett, Sarah Dorleska Sterrett Gorton, Alton Sterrett, Josephine Sterrett Davis

Thomas Alexander Sterrett married Agnes Christopherson on the 24th of July 1895. Born to them on May 10th 1896 a daughter named Winona.

Ada May married John Walter Harris in 1892, Jan 7th at soda Springs, Idaho. Born to them a daughter named Nedra on the fourth of May, 1894, blessed by Elders George Smith, Thomas Alsop and WW Sterrett, the latter being mouth. A son born on Dec. 30, 1897, blessed by John Gooch and WW Sterrett.

My wife and self went to Logan to do work in Temple for my dead kindred. My daughter not being able to at this time. My wife officiated for my mother and sisters on Oct 15. I was baptized for Alexander Sterrett, my grandfather; for Alexander Sterrett, my father; Thomas Baxter Sterrett, my brother; Alexander Weaver Sterrett, my brother. Mary Jane Crandle Sterrett, my wife, baptized for Elizabeth Baxter Sterrett, my mother; Nancy Sterrett Mitchel, my sister; Mary Ann Wells Sterrett, wife of my brother Thomas; Elizabeth Miller, wife of brother Alexander.

Went through and received endowments for father and mother, also their sealing. Also had Sister Ruth Hopkins to go through for my sister, Nancy Mitchel. Myself and wife went through and received endowment and sealing for brother Thomas and wife, Mary Ann Wells. This day received endowment and sealing for brother Alexander and wife, Elizabeth Miller Sterrett.


A post office was established and named Cove, and I was appointed Postmaster.

January, 1897

Having received certificates from the proper authorities of the church, we again departed to the Logan Temple where we received our second anointing and blessings.

I was also baptized for my son Joseph Kimball Sterrett.

Thomas Mitchell, husband to my sister Nancy.

Was baptized for James Campbell Andreson, a cousin by marriage, his wife being Lyda Dunn, who I expect to have my daughter Ada to be baptized for, and to receive their endowment and sealings.

Was also baptized for one Joshua Wills by request of Bro. Ros Kelly, the scribe.

Jan. 27, 1897

This day John Walter Hans and his wife Ada May Sterrett received their endowment and their first child, Neda May, sealed to them.

Born to Simeon and Minnie Sterrett a son on September 2nd 1909, at Pocatello, Idaho, Bannock Co. Was blessed February 6th 1910 by Elder Henry E. Reddich, and named Simeon Stanford Sterrett.


July 25. This day at a conference held in Gentile Valley, Bannock County, Idaho was ordained a patriarch in Bannock Stake of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints under the hands of Apostle Matthias F. Cowley, since which. I have traveled amongst the Saints and up to this writing have given six hundred and fifty blessings. My eye sight is failing and my general health failing.

Aug 24. Emma A. Sterrett was set apart as President of the Primary Association of the North half of the Thatcher Ward of the Bannock Stake of Zion under the hands of Bishop Hogan, Geo. D. Andersen and WW Sterrett, Bro. Andersen being mouth.

December 25th, had a reunion of our family, gave them all their patriarchal blessings, except Charles Sterrett, not being present. Also had Christmas tree for our grandchildren. Had a pleasant and an enjoyable time.

On the morning of the 26th my wife complained of sickness and commenced to grow worse. Everything being don for her that loving hands could do. She was administered to and would revive and feel better, but her age and her previous sufferings were against her. She continued in this way for fifteen months, all this time she suffered excruciating pain, and often desired the lord to take her. She did not feel to complain but her trust was in her Heavenly Father. She died on the 26th of March, 1900 at 25 minutes to 5 O’clock in the evening. She died in full faith in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and received all the blessing in the Temples that are given in this dispensation, buried in the robes of the Holy Priesthood. She will come forth in the first resurrection.

Mary Jane Crandle Sterrett has born in Guiaga Co. Ohio on the 15th day of May, 1827. Was seventy two years ten months and twenty days old.

Her parents embraced the gospel as revealed through the great latter-day Prophet, Joseph Smith. Among the early members and amongst the first to emigrate to Jackson County, Missouri.

Was a child of six years old when they were driven out by a relentless mob. She always remembered the great meteoric shower or as the saints called it the falling of the stars. She came to Salt Lake City with her father’s family in 1850 in Capt. Milo Andrus train, arriving about the first of September. Here she married William W. Sterrett in the spring of 1851.

She was loved and respected by all who knew her.

The funeral services were held in the Thatcher Ward of the Bannock Stake of Zion in the meeting house. The speakers on the occasion were Bros. Falkman, Jensen and Pond. The choir singing O My Father, and other appropriate hymns, and was followed to the grave by a numerous concourse of friends and relatives. She died as she lived, faithful and true to her covenants. Peace be to her ashes.

Thus died one who personally knew the Prophet Joseph Smith and his brother, Hyrum. But few of that day are left, and not many years hence there will be none that knew them personally.

Dec. 29. Mary Ruth Sterrett baptized by Elder Thomas Allsop.


Aug 4. This day Simeon Ralph Sterrett was baptized under the hands of Councilor Thomas Allsop. Also his wife baptized by the same Elder.

Aug 5.They were confirmed by the following Elders, Denmark Jensen, George Peck and Thomas Allsop. Bro. Jensen, mouth. Counselor Allsop being mouth, with his wife Emma Harris Sterrett.

Dec 2. Ordained Teacher by Bp. Hogan.


April 3. Ordained an Elder in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints under the hands of Nathan D. Thatcher, George Peck and Joseph Falkman, Elder Thatcher mouth.

Nathan D. Thatcher ordained a Seventy Nov. 4th 1893 by Abraham H. Cannon, who was ordained an Apostle Oct 1st 1889 by Joseph F. Smith who was ordained an Apostle July 1st 1866 by Pres. Brigham Young, who was ordained an Apostle under the hands of Oliver Cowdery, David Whitmer and Martin Harris, Feb 14th, 1835, who were ordained under the hands of the First Presidency, Joseph Smith, Sidney Rigdon and Fredrick G. Williams, February 14th 1835.

April 16. Simeon and wife went to the temple at Logan and received their washings and anointings, had their four children sealed to them, namely, Mary Ruth, Harriet Leah, Mabel, Josephine, Sarah Dorlesky. They were then baptized for the following persons, Alford J. Reese and Roxy Ann Willey Reese, his wife.

Baptized for Lydia Dunn Anderson. Went through for James Campbell and his wife, Lydia Dunn and was baptized for John Wesley Baxter.

July 14. Sister S.R. Sterrett at a mission conference at Trout Creek was set part under the hand of Pres. L.S. Pond to be a aid to the President of Mutual Improvement Society o the Bannock Stake of Zion.

Aug 3. Elder Simeon R. Sterrett baptized Niels Leo Johnston.

Sep 9. Received the following letter, office of the First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Salt Lake City, Utah

Sept 7th 1901

Bro. Simeon Sterrett, Thatcher

Dear Brother,

The development of the missionary efforts on the Church has rendered it desirable in the eyes of the First Presidency that brethren who are not altogether prepared to immediately assume the duties of their calling on their arrival at their fields of labor be given the opportunity before their departure of preparation at one of the Church institutions of learning, where missionary classes have been organized.

Your name has been submitted to us as of one worthy to preach the gospel of the Redeemer, but to whom a preparatory missionary course would be profitable. We therefore invite you to attend the course at the Brigham Young College, Logan, commencing at the opening of the next academic year, September 23rd, 1901, as a preparation for active labor in the field to which you may hereafter be assigned,

Kindly advise us at your early convenience if this call is acceptable, and if you will report at the College a suggested above.

Your brethren in the gospel

Lorenzo Snow.

Jos. F. Smith,

First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Sept 12, Send the following letter of acceptance:

Pres. Lorenzo Snow, Salt Lake City, Utah

Dear Brother,

Your communication of the 7th at hand and I thank you for the privilege granted me of attending the BY College at Logan the ensuing winter. Will avail myself of the opportunity by reporting to the Institute on time.

Truly your brother,

Simeon Ralph Sterrett


Jan 15. Simeon R. Sterrett attended the missionary school at Logan for 3 months from Sept 22 to Dec 20, was released for school than on account of being called on a mission to Australia the 20 of March. As his circumstances were such that he could not go to Australia, Bro. Pond, the President of the Stake had it changed to the Southwestern States.

Mar 7. Went to Salt Lake City to be set apart for Mission. Received the following blessing given upon the head of Elder Simeon Ralph Sterrett in the Salt Lake Temple Annex.

March 12th,, 1902, by Pres. Joseph W. McMurrin.

Brother Simeon Ralph Sterrett, we, your fellow laborers, in the authority of the Holy Priesthood, lay our hands upon your head and ordain you a Seventy in the Church of Jesus Christ of L. D. Saints and we seal upon you every gift, key, power and authority appertaining unto this calling the Holy Melchizedek Priesthood. And we pray God that the desires may be strong in your mind to magnify this Priesthood, to be in very deed a special witness of the Lord Jesus Christ, to travel among the nations bearing testimony to the truth of the gospel as you may be directed by those who preside over you in the priesthood.

And inasmuch as you have been called by the Lord to take a mission to the Southwestern States we set you apart for that mission and we pray that the Spirit of this special appointment may rest upon you from this moment of time. That you may be filled with a desire to do good among the children of men, that you may desire to be an instrument in the hands of the Lord of assisting in the salvation of those with whom you come in contact. We admonish you, dear brother, to accept of this responsibility with the desire in your heart to be directed of the Lord by the inspiration of his Spirit, and inasmuch as you will be humble before your Father in Heaven and will seek to shun the very appearance of evil and seek to Him in prayer, his blessing will rest upon you, and his Spirit shall be with you in rich abundance. And by its influence you shall be able to stand up before the people and expound the doctrines of the gospel, and your tongue shall be loosened by the inspiration of the Lord, and you shall be able to maintain the truth and to give a reason for the hope that is within you, and, by the power of God, conviction shall be carried to the hearts of the honest, and you shall receive souls for you king.

Have no fear concerning man, dear brother, or of what men can do, but go forth in this missionary labor and lift up your voice as with the sound of a trump and cry repentance. Preach the first principles of the gospel and testify to the divine mission of the Prophet Joseph Smith and to the restoration of the holy Apostleship and the keys that are necessary in the preaching of the gospel, and the keys that are necessary in the preaching of the Gospel and in the administering of the ordinances of the house of the lord; and inasmuch as you shall do this, the power of God shall rest upon you and joy and gladness shall fill your soul, and you shall know from the crown of your head to the soles of your feet that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God and that he was raised up of the Lord to usher in the dispensation of the fulness of times, and you shall have every assurance that you can desire that you are legally called of God to represent Him, that you bear divine authority, and that the Lord will acknowledge your acts and fill with the Holy Ghost those upon whom you lay your hands.

We bless you that you may go forth and do much good; that you may bring honor to your name and to the people whom you represent; that you may have power to resist temptation and keep your feet planted in the narrow way. We pray that you may gain access to the honest, to those who are seeking after the truth; that you may escape danger of every description; that you may not be confounded by those who oppose the truth, but that you may be able to expound the Scriptures and to explain the principles of the Gospel to the understanding of all men.

We dedicate you to the Lord and ordain you to this high office in the Holy Priesthood and send you forth as a witness of the Lord Jesus Christ, and we say unto you, dear brother, go in peace and return in safety, in the name of the Jesus Christ, amen.

Martin S. Linsay, Reporter

Aug 20. Harriet Leah Sterrett baptized by Elder Frank W. Andrus.

Oct. 5. Confirmed under the hands of the Bishoprick of Thatcher Ward, Bishop Hogan being mouth.


I, in connection with Alex Harris, went to Logan Temple to do work for my dead.

March 9. This day I received my washings and annointings. Bro. Harris for my husband, J.M. Wright and Sister (?) We were then sealed for (?).


Aug 4th. I, WW Sterrett this day was married to Charity C. Height, Bishop Walter Hogan officiating, the ceremony being performed at the house of the Bishop at Gentile Valley, Bannock Co. Idaho. My wife was converted to the gospel in her native State under the teaching of Elders J. W. Harris and James Smith, and baptized by Elder Harris Oct 7th, 1900, and confirmed by Elder (?). She was born in Por? Co. Tennessee, Feb 11th, 1850. Her parents were John Wright and Rebecka Dorton Chastain. They moved to the State of Virginia where they lived until she was about seventeen years old, then moved to Tennessee in Putnam Co. Where she was married to Pleasent Miller Wright, with whom she lived until his death in February 13th, 1889. He was born on January 21st, 1813 near Knoxville, Tennessee. By him she had three children, all girls. Emigrated to Idaho in May 11, 1901 and settled in Cove, Bannock Co.


Sent sketch of my life to Bro. Jensen in Salt Lake City to be published in L.D.S. Biographical Encyclopedia.


Work done for the dead in Salt Lake by WW Sterrett and daughter, Ada Sterrett Harris.

Baptized for this day.

James Dick, Luke Bradley, Thos. Mitchell.

Ada was baptized for Marh Jane Sterrett Dick, Nancy Moore Sterrett, Mary Davis, Mary Ann Bial Bradley.

Oct. 12 WW Sterrett received washing and announting and sealings for Joseph Kimball Sterrett.

Ada received washings, annountings and sealings for Francis Grace Kimball and we sealed to Joseph Kimball Sterrett.

Oct 13. I, WW Sterrett, done the work for Thos. Mitchell and by sister Nancy was sealed to him.

Mary Davis’ work was done by Ada Sterrett and she was sealed to Wm. W. Sterrett for time and all eternity.

Oct 14. I, WW Sterrett, done work for James Dick and his wife, Mary Jane Sterrett was sealed to him for time and all eternity. Her work was done by Ada Sterrett Harris.

Thomas Baxter, my grandfather, was born about 1765 in the State of New Jersey and died in the state of Indiana about 1838. His wife was Nancy Murphy, born in Virginia about 1770 and died in the State of Ohio about 1800. Their children were Elizbiath, James, Thomas, Samuel, Nancy. His second wife, Lydia Murphy, born 1782 in the State of Ohio and died about 1845 in Ohio. Their children were (?), Washington, Tarlton, Matilda.

Simeon Crandel, born in the State of New York about the year 1800 and died in California about 1872. His wife, Jaruth Whitney, was born about 1810 in the State of Ohio and died in California about 1884.


Work done in Logan Temple.

June 25, Mary Ruth Sterrett received her endowments, by her sister Josephine Sterrett Davis.

Charles Quinn Sterrett received his endowments and was sealed to William W. Sterrett and his wife, Mary Jane Crandle Sterrett, William Davis proxy.

Minnie Harris Sterrett endowed for Katherine Astley.

June 27, Minnie Harris Sterrett endowed for Mrs. Mathew Kirby.